prettypammie has gone into an organizing/cleaning frenzy--we've needed to do this for a long time. Heck, we still have boxes untouched from our move in 2001. My job is to carry things up and down stairs and to otherwise stay out of her way.
I just re-discovered, while helping out with some other cleaning up and organizing, a game that had gotten hidden away in my tapes. IIRC it was a gift from flyingwolf, via her boss, who is a Mac person that ended up with a PC version of a game. (Am I remembering this right, flyingwolf?). After a little futzing, I got it installed, patched, and working. For some reason, I had disabled short file-name generation in my registry. It seemed like a good idea at the time [who requires 8.3 file names these days...how very MS-DOS]. Unfortunately, this game is old enough that it's installer and patch programs used filename parameters without properly quotiing them [this is a problem that can affect any operating system with a command line interface, even Darwin if you talk to the OS via a shell].
Noone who isn't familar with these things would have solved this problem--probably not even EA Tech Support. Of course, noone who isn't familar with these things would have tweaked the registry to disable short file-name creation. For the llife of me, I can't remember why I made that change to begin with now. At the start, discovering the problem with the install, I was about ready to chalk it up to an incompatibilty with XP and the game--but a search of the web and support forums suggested this was not the case.
Okay, back to work on the clean-up, laundry, etc.